Thursday 20 November 2008

NOISE Festival



I have just attended a two day event called 'Noise Festival' which was an event at Manchester Town Hall to make connections between practitioners and professionals in music, the media and Art & Design. I was advised to take 4-6 pieces of my work in my portfolio and although I wasn't able to reserve a one to one session I waited around all day, both days and they squeezed me in! I was able to speak to two people Greg Burne from the Big Active agency and an art director from The Independent newspaper. They offered me advise on areas I should market my work for and advice on the aesthetics of my work. It was a great chance to meet people and I am planning to contact the practitioners and speakers that I met with further. It was interesting to see the diverse styles that contemporary illustration practitioners have and also Fine Art graduates attempting to get into the commercial arts. The one to one sessions were held in pods in the main hall and outside of them were tents filled with fine art exhibitions. I spoke to a man called Jonathan, a newly graduated fine artist about his take on fine art now and his passion for it. Also I met another fine art photography graduate from North London who was really struggling financially to support herself and get work, which I thought was down to the fact that illustration is in competition with photography. Overall it was well worth going to the event and I am going to look out for more events in the future.

No comments: